Movements

A few days ago I saw one of those controversial buses that have been making such a ruckus in my hometown. As I sped past it, driving in the opposite direction on the highway, I quickly glanced at what it said.


'There's probably no God, so stop worrying and enjoy your life'.


As a Christian, I know many a person (both at my church and out) who have taken personal offence to the statement; but with reason for sure. I mean, as a believer of Christ, we want to put our hopes and our salvation out to the world, we don't want to have things like such pushed back in our faces. But when you look at the bible (and other several useful texts... I highly recommend reading Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell. He addresses the struggles of faith quite well) you realize that following Jesus will have it's trials and tribulations. Nothing is ever easy in faith, but that's what makes it faith I guess: belief that you will make it through with God to guide you.


Anyways... after all that (the whole personal offence spiel), I finally saw one of those buses. Looking back, my own reaction was different than one I thought I would have had, but it still, even now, makes me smile.


And I indeed smiled when I read the bus too. There's a small detail (that I now know that they had to add to prevent the feeling that they were attacking people's faith... but isn't that the point of atheistic bus art? To attack faith? Duh?) that shows up as the second word in that statement.


'There's probably no God, so stop worrying and enjoy your life'.


Probably.


What a wonderful word.


When I first read it, it made me grin because it seemed so moronic and so... like they were eating their own words.


Probably.


From the outside (not knowing that they had to add it on there) it feels like they don't know whether there is a God or not. Uncertainty in their own belief, which makes it easier to dissuade them from their perspectives.


But you see, I do know that there is a God. I know that he loves everyone, I know that he's always around (despite what those deists have to say. Honestly...) and I do know that he sent his son to suffer instead of us.... to save my bacon. I have that complete affirmation.


Boy are they going to be surprised when Jesus comes back.



Comments

Popular Posts