First Time for Everything

So I had a first today… and it was certainly a weird one, let me tell you.

So from yesterday with the sunburn (there were mozzies absolutely EVERYWHERE. It was horrendous… and they hurt when they bit also!) I received 37 mosquito bites (I counted). Yeah, I know, it sucks a whole lot but even worse is the itching– which is inevitable when you’re pretty much sitting all day and you have bites on the backs of your knees. So frustrating, so itchy and getting to be so painful.

It was my first day on the job today, secretary for my dad’s company and I have to say that it was a lot to grasp, but not so much that I wasn’t able to keep a level head and process it. I think from having to do supervisory work in my previous job and adapting to university, both have well equipped me to this post as I am more easily able to understand and maintain foreign information.

Anyways, I was sitting shadowing and helping one of my dad’s senior secretaries when this guy came in supporting his grandmother. He was really quite attractive– maybe 19-22 years old, asian, tall and sparkling chocolate brown eyes. The two of them arrived quite early for their appointment (as only asians can do and not look awkward) and sat in the waiting area. I could hear them softly talking mandarin in the background just over ‘Had a Bad Day’ that radio was repetitively singing into the quiet of the clinic.

My dad finished with the phone and I showed them into Treatment Room #1, telling them that he would be with them in a moment. I returned to the desk and thought very little of it until my dad came to retrieve me from my post to regard the grandmother’s arm. She had broken it in three places several years ago and it was a rather graphic scene as there were several tiers when my dad held it out. The fracture didn’t hurt her anymore, but the arm was near useless. It looked liked the rocky formations in this picture with the top flat bit being her shoulder and the bottom flat bit being the olecranon.

Kind of gross, hey? Yeah so her grandson had to translate as my dad outlined yet again what he was going to do to ensure that the brace fit snugly to finally allow movement to her arm. I went back to the desk and continued to do my work.

As they came back out, we had some papers for them to sign so they stood at the desk, the offspring translating what needed to be done to the grandmother. She was compliant and one of the sweetest ladies out there, quietly allowing her relative to show her what needed to be done and how to do it.

As they got to leaving, he held the door for his grandmother so that she would be able to walk out. He looked at me and started walking out, tripping over the carpet that led out the door. He blushed, smirked and quickly went to join his grandmother.

I was a little bit taken aback. Had he just tripped while watching me?

HA HA!

Comments

Popular Posts