The Awe Factor of God

I had an experience a few nights ago that was one of those nights where you look about you and you can see everything so clearly; the moon was at its zenith and everything was swathed in a crisp, silver light. The now mosquito-free air was still remarkably warm and lying on the slide in naught but my jeans and hoodie was fine if not satisfying to be sure.

Having lived outside of the city for 10 years, one always appreciates the cloudless nights; though we don't receive the glow from the street lamps out here, the clouds can be a detriment to peering into the heavens. That evening, I had this hilarious sensation that if I were to ever be experiencing such view with friends of mine, they would be more than exacerbated with my continuous comments of 'Wow, look at the stars!' and 'What a clear night! Wow guys, look up!'

I'm not sure what it is, but since before I could understand, I've always been fascinated with the sky. From wanting to be an astronomer to being a pilot-- I have always felt its beauty and majesty within anything from the clouds to the stars. It has always held me captive, drawing my attention to the absoluteness yet infinite space that seems to exist just beyond our earthly borders.

That night, peering upwards past our mundane and self-absorbed earth, I was taken again by the ultimate majesty that was thrown up at me without my anticipation. To think that only the brightest stars were seen from our planet... and what weren't planets were indeed other very large stars, much like our sun.

I get this bottomless and spell-binding weight on me when I think that each of those non-planet stars and the detail they hold. Each one of those may be a separate solar system with tons of planets all revolving around that center star that I can see from my slide.

The ever present question of 'are there more people out there?' seems to take hold but no matter what, I am so reassured with God. I'm in love with this ultimate artist who has some of the craziest creativity known to... well pretty much ever. And... he's in love with me.

Next time you have a free night with nothing to do, give me a ring and we are going to go stargazing. I promise you, it's something so entirely phenomenal, I have been brought to tears a few times already. We'll have a talk, a sit and maybe a cry together. But watch this-- this is nearly as good as the real thing.








Comments

Popular Posts