Regarding both Puzzles and Pottery

It’s when you count upon the unknown that the common, characteristic disaster may start to unfold. It’s when you relinquish your hold upon the situation however, that you realize the strength in the Known Unknown. I shall not pretend that I have everything matched to a tee, placing emotion with concrete feeling with understanding with reality. It is this cluelessness that allows me to realize that I am not of sound perfection but rather that I am a broken piece of pottery. I have designs, some being beautiful, some being ugly; some being entire, some being fragmented– ideas and images broken off on the jagged edges. It’s the combinations of my own personal complete artistry as well as the broken pieces on the perimeter that allow me to see the way I see, to feel the way I feel– to love the way I love.

I find those who are able to complement me: those who are able to look at the pictures on the outside of my piece and match their own pieces so that rather than two broken parts, we together join to show a greater picture. Two pieces all with their own pattern and colour and shape, but with complementary ideas and artwork.

The prayer has been flowing fast and thick as hope to understand the complexities of complicated situations presses deeply on my being.

Being lost is part of being human– if we were to understand everything, how would we grow? It is the promise of the mystery that keeps us guessing, hoping and full of faith. I refuse to relinquish my hope and faith as I realize now that it is engraved in the very core of my being. I refuse to impart all of my knowledge into others as well for many of the same reasons, but one strong one seems that I think I am afraid.

I cannot stretch out my hand holding all the answers to the confusing aspects of my situations. I cannot offer things that would help one to understand the darker corners of my life as it is much more interesting to view the person as a complex individual, not one who is clearly spelled out in comprehensive language. Whether it be English, French– Mongolian or Zulu: I am set apart because of my brokenness and how I search earnestly for the potter to find another bit of smashed piece.

The piece may be directly in front of me, it could very well be across continents. What I do know however is that less than a year from today I will be playing pool with those whom I love– and nothing can mess that up. If I must wait, I must wait.

I hope this clears some things up.


Comments

Popular Posts