Swim It

I have mentioned several times that I have this fanatical obsession with airplanes and the sky before but as of today I remembered yet another one.

Since before I could remember, I have always had this drawing, passionate fancy for the water. Give me a swimming pool, a lake, the ocean-- I'm easygoing as long as it is deep enough that I can submerge myself without touching the bottom.

I remember seven years ago the first time we went to the Big Island of Hawaii; we stayed in this condo called the Vista Waikoloa and was it of marvellous proportions. The whole room was decked out in beach-y patterns of flowers and palm fronds with wicker furniture and light, sandy, pastel colours bedecking the walls and materials. While it wasn't anything that the Queen would relish, it didn't matter-- who honestly spends large, sound chunks of time indoors while in Hawaii?

I remember the pool.

Again, it wasn't anything that would be beyond words (try the Hilton Waikoloa-- now there is a place that I am considering for my future Honeymoon... maybe we'll get lots of people to pitch in?) but what popped out the most profoundly was the stark perfection when it comes to the typical imagery on the word 'paradise'.


Generally when you see or hear either someone describing a picture of paradise or clap eyes on a situation yourself, there is generally water, palm trees, deep and clear blue skies, fluffy white clouds that pose no threat to rain and flawless white sand beaches. You can always seem to picture yourself in your future with your loved one walking down that sand, hand-in-hand with sandals in grasp and the dream-envoking smell of suntan lotion permeating the salty air about you.









Everything is saturated with sun and warmth, salt and brine and the glorious humidity that seeps deep into your pores that leave traces of health and beauty days after you return back home to reality.

It was this that stood out while in that pool. I remember one day seven years ago when I was floating on my back in this pool.

It was a simple shape cut into simple concrete but the emotion of the situation made it so stark to my memory. As I lay floating with the water holding me aloft, I took a moment away from trying to hold my nose above the liquid and gazed at His glory. Here I was, water lapping at my periphery, this deep sapphire sky with cottony white clouds and palm trees lapping over into my field of view. I sighed, closed my eyes and actually thought


'Now this is what I call paradise'.


Don't ask me how I remember my exact thought-- I have a tendency to keep bits of my past that won't do me much good technically in the future but for creativity it is an endless flow of images and thoughts.




(this is that pool btw)


Today I was reminded of those words.


As I lay floating on my back in the pool at our condo complex out in BC, I gazed up into that same sky as all those years ago. I saw pillowy soft clouds flitting over head (it had been raining all day, this was a beautiful change) but instead of the peace giving palm trees that have worked their way so remarkably into my heart what did I see? Evergreens. Yes, in the screenshot of my memory, Christmas trees now took their place. But I ignored those and peered into the sky.


I borrowed my brothers goggles, strapped them on, plugged my nose (after over 15 years of swimming, I still need my nose plugged for this. Gravity does not agree with water in this case) and let my air out, submerging me.


As I lay floating on my back underwater, I was able to see the clouds and sky from beneath the surface, watching bubbles crest as they made their way past my face. Though this is still an image of paradise, different words were on my lips.


'The beauty of your majesty awakes my soul to sing'.






(Just for the heck of it, this is the song that I remember listening to on the drive to Hapuna beach every time we drove the Queen Kaahumanu highway. Keep in mind that I was 12... and no, I did not listen to Drake Bell regularly, nor did I think him remotely attractive. I liked the chord progression. Please don't think any less of me. Gracias)






Comments

  1. I am the same way. The water is crucial to my survival.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank-you for the feedback!

Popular Posts