Cooking for Soup

It's remarkable- I have been bedridden thanks to the most recent captive to the bubonic plague but even through my misery, I have been so blessed.

Let me rewind.
So I got a nasty start of a horrible sickness on wednesday evening, it carried on through my long weekend... thursday, friday, saturday and to today, sunday. I woke up, thick goop sticking my right eyelids together. Stumbled out of bed and made my way downstairs with my voice very frog-like.
I can't breathe properly and my throat has closed over but I spent the day doing statistics and I now know what I am doing (for the most part)!

This is a big deal. At 1600h however, I took a break to watch Jamie's Great American Road-trip. This episode was Jamie venturing around New York and talking to immigrants trying to get a different feel and taste so that he could broaden his culinary experience, if-you-will. He met one chap named George from Columbia and his story not only caused me to forget about being able to breathe, but caused my heart to absolutely break and swell with pride for the goodness in humanity.

So George of Columbia left his homeland when he was 17, sneaking through Mexico and illegally across the American border to join his mum who had already been living here sending money back home to George. He continued to help her, doing everything in his power to keep off the freezing streets where the other illegal immigrants lived due to not having a home and George learned from his mother how to cook.

Several years later, George became a registered citizen of the United States and took up a position as a school bus driver, helping his mum and making all the money they could to stock up... but it was never for them.

Jamie visited them in today's episode and they stared making gargantuan quantities of food and as they stirred with colossal spoons in even more huge pots, Jamie began to scratch his head and ask what it was for.

For the past however many years, George has driven down to one of the notorious streets in downtown New York where the illegal immigrants are in the greatest quantities and he provides little to-go meals to them- their one hot plateful of food for the day. Because of this, he has become known as the 'Chicken-and-Rice-Man'. He knows all 85 of those individuals who line up by name, all of their stories, all of the pain and heartache that they have gone through in order to try and start a better life for themselves in the USA.

But rather than receiving the warm embrace that they originally thought would be the authorities, they were forced to go under the radar lest they be thrown back across the border back to the dead-end situations they had before the attempt.

George is taking what money he has from driving that bus and he spends it on vast quantities of food and the electricity to cook it while living in a decrepit house.
He is thankful that he has a house. That he has a job. That he is a citizen so that he may help others.

Why are we not leaping at that chance also?
After watching that, I felt such a desire to do something useful rather than sit, decomposing on the couch.

I want to show His love through volunteer work and using my hands so that others may see His good work in my life.

Do not believe me unless I do the works of the Father.
--John 10:37 


Comments

Popular Posts