Lessons in Everyday Life

I was reminded today of the total loyalty and faithfulness of God. In the midst of disappointment, He never turns his back on us. 

It's funny; the stupidest things that can frustrate one about the human race. And I must say that today was one of those days, where everything that people could do to annoy me, it was done. Everything from having to work the 8-hour shift totally on my own (again!), to patients moaning and playing dictator, to nurses freaking out and also ordering me around (unfortunately none too kindly), to not being able to leave on time because my replacements were late, to people who bailed on me for something that is not only infrequent (try once a year!) but what I have been looking forward to for weeks...

As I was driving home and processing all of these things, I found myself faced with two options. 

Option one is frequently adopted by the human race. People are seized with frustration, emotion and frequently unpleasant thoughts or comments to these situations. Ranting and raving, they roam from one room to another, one scenario to another, wrecking havoc and generally causing an overall stir. The problem (well one of the problems) with this option is it frequently initiates invidious reactions to others and contributes to an overall cruddy state of emotions for them also. 

The alternative is option two.

Now option two is definitely more favourable. It could be considered the 'shrug' response but it is not an indifferent 'shrug' but more of a patient and self-controlled vote of peace. You could storm about and throw a tantrum or you could accept that these things happen, that it is a test of your self-control and remember that even when people (unavoidably) bail on you, not support you, or basically hang you out to dry, you walk beside One which promises never to leave nor abandon us. In addition, while He is with us at all times, when we feel that we've been strung apart, we're never in actuality on our own. 

I asked God to teach me greater patience and humility and I am comforted to hear that He is indeed doing just this.

So now I sit typing this out and the next thought that crosses my mind is
Oh well, there is always next year's Highland Games. 

Comments

Popular Posts