I run to You

I am so incredibly blessed.

There have been things in my life as of late that have caused me to lie in bed awake at night and wonder 'what if' questions. I know this is a peculiar place to start but it has been running laps about my head causing me to think about a myriad of issues, complexities and topics of interest.

This evening was a Christmas party. Yes it was an evening of joy and celebration and all that jazz but what I wasn't anticipating was the humbling, beautiful, honest experience I would have afterwards.

My dad was watching television so I asked a friend of mine if he would mind driving me home. I have always been close to this friend but what I saw this evening has my strong familial feelings for him growing in leaps and bounds.

He was honest with me and began to talk about things that he was facing regarding relationships and where he stood. This is a man who seeks so highly after God that it is reflected in so SO many ways of his life. He is kind and humble and constantly seeks after Jesus and the phenomenal things that He promises in the Bible. This man really caused me to think.

He began to outline the perfect, godly potential suitor. That this unknown man should put the best for his wife above anything of his own, that he should love her, respect her honour her. The last is one he stressed most remarkably and marked it as one of the most pertinent pieces on the checklist.

If I am a daughter of the Most High, I should be setting the bar at significant heights and not letting those who just trickle by to squeeze between the cracks. They should love me for who I am despite my flaws and put what's best for me above the things they wish to do. They should look out for me, they should respect me, be that gentleman and the one who honours me above anyone else on earth. Above all, God requires the first and foremost, as master, as father, as love and as life.

This evening I was shown an optimal man. I was shown what it would look like to truly have one who seeks after God and what that sort of love would look like regarding a relationship: selfless, honest, humble and real. Of course I realize that as humans we all deal with flaws but whether we allow these flaws to continue and govern our actions is the difference between what my friend was describing and what others achieve by simply 'meeting the bare minimum'. After tonight, the latter is not acceptable.

I cannot help but crave this ultimate version - who wouldn't? Someone who has it put together and I was encouraged so highly to wait, to have patience and to be still and confident in the Lord that one day, this brilliant man would come and find me.

You would not believe the humility and 'rawness' that I experienced this evening. I am in awe that someone so human could be so turned in the direction of the Most High and still have so much love in him. I am honoured to know that there are men like this brother in the world, that desire to honour their future wife above themselves, to love them selflessly and to be their support, their earthly guidance and their best friend.

It's encouraging to know that these men are out there.

He is my brother and he knows that. He knows that I love him so much and that I am so thankful that he is in my life. I cannot ask for any better mentor, friend, brother and guide.

I cannot possibly believe how much I have been blessed with this man.

Comments

  1. Thank you for this blog post - its always a good reminder. And thank your friend as well for me. I'm pretty sure I know who it is.... ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank-you for the feedback!

Popular Posts