I Crave, Justice.

Few things bug me more than racism, just plain and simple. Call it a godly hatred, but it drives me nuts to the point where, I don't know, it feels like my body starts to ache.

For years I've been interested in Africa, it's people, and history and this summer I was finally given the chance to take an African History course at school.

It's been a crazy few weeks due to the sheer amount of reading (that's summer classes for you), but it has truly been a learning experience, something that I can only hope would happen in a classroom.

A couple weeks ago we covered the Scramble for Africa, a period of time where the Great Britain and Europe decided that they needed to stop africans with their "backwards, uncivilized, savage ways" and implement "order, organization, and civilized government". To do this, they all gathered in Berlin in 1884 and separated Africa into newly formed plots of land, with newly defined borders, and conveniently left out any african say in the matter.

You can image the surprise when a bunch of white folks just show up in your village and demand that they now run the place. I can just image some tall, african woman with 6 kids hanging onto her legs going (as only african people can), "I. Don't. Think. So." and shaking her finger back and forth all the while (maybe they weren't as 'fly' back then but I can definitely imagine the indignation!).

That's pretty much what happened with the Herero people in olden day Namibia.

Germany got this land in the Scramble for Africa back in Berlin and renamed it German Southwest Africa.

It's frustrating enough when a bunch of people claim that they want your property, it's even worse when they take out violent measures on you.

I just can't fathom why people would take advantage of others who are simply different than they are and give no respect to the diversity that God has put in different cultures. It drives me mad. But it really won't do to be naïve to these sorts of situations, hence the interest in the topic as a whole.

The following clips (6 in total) are all from a documentary that we watched in class. They talk about the Namibia Genocide as imparted by the Germans, a horrible precursor to the Nazi régime. They amount to about an hour in length I think, but if you're looking for something educational to do and desire a heart-wrenching documentary, set aside a few minutes and give this a go.

1 of 6
2 of 6
3 of 6
4 of 6
5 of 6
6 of 6

For anyone who wants to learn more, I highly recommend the History 309. Plus, this was the first prof who ever thanked those who came for taking his class. Top notch, sir.




Comments

Popular Posts