And I Choose to Trust in Him

This is a small aside.

I struggle with finances. I work hard for my money but I find I'm overly protective with it and it is difficult to make purchases for myself as I'm afraid of not having enough in the future. I'm paid well as a nurse in Alberta so really, that's a silly thought, not having enough. Consequently, I find it really really hard to trust God with these finances which is again, a silly thought -- he has blessed me with skills and talents and education to make any sort of material worth with, so any and everything that I make belongs to him. I am a steward of his equity so I should recognise it as truly belonging to him.

That's why I support a sponsor child, ministries, and tithe ... not only do I feel that this is giving due back to him in support of his people and his kingdom, but it truly helps me to let go of my greed and fear of not having enough, and return focus to God.

That being said, when I left for the UK, I cancelled most of my support for local ministries because I did not have any income coming in. I did keep my sponsor child (Everlyn -- the cutest little thing) and supporting Kensington Commons Church because I believe in what they're doing. It was a hard decision though because I knew that it would really drain a good amount of my account while I was away and I had no way to replenish it.

Being the time of year that it is, Mum asked for my tax information so she could file it through their accountant (thanks again Mum, I owe you one!), and I was worried about having to pay but because of the craziness of the year and not being able to spare any extra time to worry about having to owe money, I put it out of my mind.

Mum emailed me last night (for her, early this morning for me) about my tax rebate and I actually got one! And a hefty one at that! I was really chuffed, having that kind of income. It wasn't until I stopped and actually thought for a moment though that the weight passed me by entirely.

I leapt to my computer. I added up all that I had spent since September supporting Everlyn and Commons and it turns out I had made it all back, within $15. This is too small an amount to be coincidence and as a result has left me astounded and truly lost for words.

So while I struggle to give over to God that which is his, those moments that I do intentionally choose to trust in him, he blesses. If this isn't encouragement for the future expectant financial stress, I don't know what is.


Comments

Popular Posts